Wednesday, January 4, 2012

My Heart's Love Resolution

I've never been very fond of change. Actually, I've always hated change. It's uncomfortable. But, as Jillian Michaels says in my yoga dvd, it's time to "get comfortable with being uncomfortable!"

It's that time of the year. Everyone is making New Year's Resolutions. I can't remember a time that I actaully made one. I don't think that I ever will. But, a tradition that I have rather enjoyed the past two years is to make a Love Resolution to the King of my heart.

A couple of years ago, my Bible study host told me that she prayed every day that she would fall more in love with Christ. She went on to share some of the many ways her love for the Lord had grown since and how it had changed her life. So, two years ago I decided that every day for one year I would pray to fall more in love with Jesus.

Over that year I did see my life change in many ways. And, it was very uncomfortable. But, as my Beautiful Lord tugged at my heart strings, I did find myself falling in love in so many new ways. When the next year rolled around, I wanted to experience more growth. So, last year I started praying every day that the newfound love I had found in Christ would help me become more obedient to Him.

It's funny how God answers prayers. You have to be SO careful what you pray for...or at least be ready for it! I mean, God isn't a genie. But, if you ask Him for something like this...something according to His will, He WILL give it!

I look back and giggle now, but I was so shocked when God started asking me to be obedient. "Allie, I want you to leave this...I want you to let go of that. Allie, I want you to walk alone...I want you to trust me." Ouch...as I remember back over the past year my heart still hurts. But, just as it had before, I find my heart changed. And, I'm finally starting to grasp that the uncomfortable change doesn't have to be so uncomfortable. When my world feels like it's spinning out of control, when my lungs feel as if a thousand pounds are crushing against them, when my heart stings...all I have to do is lean back into the safe hands that hold me up. The hands of my very own Creator.

Gracious Heavenly Father,
This year I pray that You would help me to let go of MY plans...because it's not about me. Everything is all about You. Help me to keep my eyes fixed upon You, my Sweet Savior. Help me delight in You and find joy in You always. Let nothing else matter in light of You. Almighty God, I am so in love with You! You are so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment