Friday, March 22, 2013

Food for the Soul

Last weekend, I had the privilege of hanging out and baking cookies with two of my very bestest friends :)  We baked Samoas in heart shapes!  It was so much fun!  We called them "Food for the Soul."  They were sooo good; I could have eaten the whole tray in one sitting!  My mouth is watering now and my tummy is grumbling as I even only remember tasting them freshly baked.  It's got me thinking...
 
The Bible calls itself the Bread of Life.  It says, "taste and see that the Lord is good!"  The Bible is filled with the nutrience we need AND it tastes good!  It's a win-win.  It's like eating your favoite dessert and being able to count it as celery!!
 
As I sit here and think about those Samoas cookies and the reaction my body and my mind gives to them, I can't help but feel convicted that my heart and soul don't react the same way to God's so very precious Word.
 
I LOVE the excitement of Samoas cookies.  And I want to feel that excitement for God's Word.  I long to be as the Psalmist in Psalm 119 who says things like...
I delight in Your decrees (vs16)
Do not hide Your commands from me (vs 18)
My soul is consumed with longing for Your law at all times (vs20)
Your statues are my delight (vs24)
I have set my heart on Your laws (vs30)
How I long for Your precepts (vs40)
This Psalmist didn't have the whole Bible the way we do today either.  Do you know what he had?  Probably pieces of the Law...Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.  Have you ever read Leviticus?  Definitely not the first book that comes to mind that I would delight in...  But, don't get me wrong.  The Psalmist wasn't perfect either.  He clearly didn't always love to read God's Word.  BUT, when he did not desire it, he asked for the longing to return...
Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in Your law (vs18)
Turn my heart toward Your statutes (vs36)
Oh that our hearts would be captivated by the sweet love letter given to us by our Gracious Heavenly Father.  This is my prayer.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment