Friday, September 6, 2013

Babylon: Make Me a Woman of Integrity

Does everything have to be about Theology?

In my Applied Theology class this semester we have been trying to answer this very question.  My immediate thought was: Yes, of course.  And, my thought has not changed.  However, many of classmates see things so very differently.

If everything is about theology, is drinking orange juice theological?
 
If everything is about theology, is buying a pair of socks theological?
 
If everything is about theology, do I need to pray about whether I should eat a bowl of cereal or a bagel for breakfast?

I think these questions miss the point.  What is our motivation behind asking these simple-minded and exaggerated questions?  Where is our heart really at?  At least from my perspective, if we genuinely believe that what the Bible says about Christ and all of history is true, why on earth would we not want to see every decision we make as a theological decision?

I just don't want to.
 
It's weird.

These are some of the excuses I hear.  Please know, my intention is not to bash anyone or condemn anyone.  I will be the first to admit I myself am guilty of using these same excuses.  But, my heart breaks because of it.

Jesus says in John 15:11 that He has told us these things in order that we have JOY!  It might seems weird, and we may not want to think theologically about every detail of our lives.  But ultimately, including Christ will bring us JOY!  In a world where at least I know that I am not satisfied or joy-filled a good portion of the time, why would I not include the One who promises to give me joy?

So, do you need to pray about whether you should eat a bowl of cereal or a bagel for breakfast?  Will that bring you joy?  Maybe not.  But, why not stop for a moment and see that you have a choice.  You have such an abundance of food, money, time...that you not only get to eat breakfast this morning, you can choose what you will eat!  Why not stop and praise God for that?  THAT should bring you joy!

In 1 Thessalonians 5:17, Paul tells us to pray without ceasing.  I do not believe this means that every minute of our day needs to be soaked up by the literal bowing of our heads and folding of our hands as we recite hours of prayer.  I believe that it means that everything is theological.  Everything relates back to God.  And, Paul is commanding us to see that.  To see that God is behind it all, and to (at the very least) acknowledge Him and praise Him!

I must confess, I am guilty of not including or acknowledging Christ in every aspect of my life.  I am the daughter of Babylon who says, "I am.  And, there is none besides me," (Isaiah 47:8-10).  But, my prayer is that I would be like Daniel, resolving not to be this way.  Resolving not to be defiled by my Babylon.  Resolving to pray without ceasing.  Resolving to realize that everything is theological, and it's not about me.  It's about Christ.  Period.

I want to be a woman of integrity.  I pray that the meditation of my heart would no longer be, "I am, and there is none besides."  I pray that it instead would be, "You are, O God, and there is none besides."

Follow this link to hear "Babylon" by Niccole Galvan

No comments:

Post a Comment