Sunday, April 1, 2012

Hands and Feet

I've loved Isaiah 6:8 for as long as I can remember. I was chatting with a friend yesterday, and she asked me what my "life verse" was. At first I didn't think I had one. I definitely don't choose to recite a specific verse everyday, I don't remember ever making a commitment to live out a specific verse everyday, and I don't think there's really one specific verse that ever comes to my mind in every situation I'm in. But I told her and will tell you: at some point in my life I do remember my heart being pricked after reading Isaiah 6:8. And ever since, every single time I read it I have the same pinch in my heart. The verse says
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
Even right now as I type these thoughts, the desire in my heart is only to be sent by my Lord. I long to go out with a mission for my God. Maybe Isaiah 6:8 is my life verse.

I don't know why, but recently I've been listening to a lot of blasts from the past when it comes to my music choices. LOTS of Five Iron Frenzy (I heard a rumor they're coming back by the way!), and this morning I had a craving for some Audio Adrenaline. It was funny, I just really felt like I needed to play "Hands and Feet." If you've never heard it, you HAVE to go listen right now! The chorus says
I wanna be Your hands. I wanna be Your feet. I'll go where You send me. I'll go where You send me ... And I'll try, yeah I'll try to touch the world like You touch my life. And, I'll find my way to be Your hands.
I find it fascinating that right after I was thinking about Isaiah 6:8 last night, I decided to listen to these words this morning. I'm telling you, God just never ceases to amaze me! He is just so cool!

As I listened to the words this morning I realized it was my hearts desire to be Christ's hands and feet. I also realized that I truly thought in my head I would do ANYTHING the Lord asked me to do. Then it hit me...how much I complain about what He has been asking me to do. Right now, He's asking me to be in school...and I complain about it...A LOT. My argument always goes something like this "God, there are so many hurting people who need You. How can I help them when I'm sitting in a desk all day in class or doing homework for that class? Yes I can be involved in ministries, but I want to do more. I want it to me my job right now. I want my own ministry. I'm ready to write, I'm ready to paint, I want to do this or that. Why are you making me waste so much time in school?!"

I'm so annoying. I'm getting annoyed just rereading what I typed. God must be very patient because I think He hears these words at least 5 times every week (or day =/). I do honestly believe that God wants me to be in school right now. I don't question that at all. So, here God is asking me to go to school in a comfortable place where I have friends, great professors, food, a bed, and everything I need. He has been a faithful provider, and He has never left my side. I'm not too far from my friends and family back home. And here I sit, screaming at the top of my lungs to Him "Just send me out into the unknown! I'll go to Africa or China or the remostest place on the planet! I'll stay in the U.S. and do something big. Anywhere that I can serve You (except for school)." Do you see what I'm seeing? All I can say is WOW. Not only am I annoying, but I'm a liar. I'm telling God that I will do anything for Him, and then I'm stomping my feet at His calling all the while looking for the fastest exit. Sheesh...

Isaiah 42:5-7 says
This is what God the Lord says- He who created the heavens and stretched them out, who spread out the earth and all that comes out of it, who gives breath to its people, and life to those who walk on it: I, the Lord, have called you in righteousness; I will take hold of your hand. I will keep you and will make you to be a covenant for the people and a light for the Gentiles, to open the eyes that are blind, to free captives from prison and to release from the dungeon those who sit in darkness.
"I've called You, Allie." God whispered to me. "I will use you. I will set the captives free by using you. I will touch lives by using you. I will hold your hand the entire time. I will do all of these things through you and for you. I'm your Daddy, and I love You. But first, I want you to finish school. I want you to be a witness for Me there, I want you to be a witness for Me by staying, I want you to be a witness for Me through the knowledge you will aquire there, I want you to wait until I tell you to move, I want you to trust Me."

God has a different plan for each one of us. He has each of us at a different place doing a different thing. He is sovereign and He sees you where you are. He has a plan for you, and He wants you to trust Him. He's got you, and you have nothing to fear.

Father Lord,
Today I'm making Isaiah 6:8 my life verse. When I come to any situation, the first thing I want to think is "I have been sent by God." I want to do the things You have sent me to do...without complaining. Lord God, help me to trust You. Help me to keep my eyes fixed on You. Guide my footsteps and lead me where You want me to go. Show me the way one step at a time. Let me have ears to hear you, and help me to listen and obey. Father, help me to be excited about where You have me right now. Ezekiel 34:14 says "I will tend them in a good pasture, and the mountain heights of Israel will be their grazing land. There they will lie down in good grazing land, and there they will feed in a rich pasture on the mountains of Israel." In response to that verse, Stormie Omartin writes in Just Enough Light for the Step I'm On "If God wants you in the place you are now, then there are NO greener pastures." Father God, I know that You want me here right now. There are NO greener pastures. God, You are so good to me. Thank you for choosing me, loving me, forgiving me, sending me, providing for me, comforting me, holding my hand, blessing me, never leaving me, and all of the things You do for me. God use me where I am. Let people see You in my actions, my words, my character, this blog...all of me. Let no part of me be my own. All of me to Yours; I belong to You, my King. In Your precious Son's name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment